how to restart photorec session

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
RobJ

how to restart photorec session

#1 Post by RobJ »

Hi,

I'm running 6.12 from a PartedMagic rescue disk (Kernel 3.0.4-pmagic). I'm trying to recover photos from an 80GB Seagate IDE drive (/dev/sdc). The program made it part of the way thru and started giving me out of memory messages. I stopped the photorec session, which in turn closed the terminal window that it was running in. I think my problem was that I decided to store the recovered files in the RAM disk instead of an actual hard drive. I was able to copy the 6 recup_dir directories as well as the photrec.ses file that were created on the RAM disk, to a different hdd (/media/sda2/photorec). I'd like to restart the machine, boot into PartedMagic and start the session again. What steps, commands, do I need to use to do this? Thanks in advance for your help!

RobJ

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: how to restart photorec session

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Go in the directory where you have put the photorec.ses file (In the terminal/console, use "cd directory_name") and
start photorec, it should ask you if you want to resume the recovery. PhotoRec 6.12 will restart from the beginning of the disk but skip all areas where files have already been recovered. Session restart has been improved in version 6.13.