LOST- dont understand anything. need recovr saved over file

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
coachgeo

LOST- dont understand anything. need recovr saved over file

#1 Post by coachgeo »

have no clue how to use this program. Its a forien laungauge to me.

need to recover a file overwritten with same file name with wrong data.

file name "untitled1.deck"

found in c:/documents/my flash card decks

(it is a created by a flash card creation program. Have nearly 50 very important study questions and fawked up and saved same file name of only one card over the other 50) Test is next week.... need to fix ASAP.

PS - new computer and the damn restore was not turned on!!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: LOST- dont understand anything. need recovr saved over f

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try TestDisk, Advanced, Undelete. But the original file content may have been overwritten.

coachgeo

#3 Post by coachgeo »

Should I be searching the partition noted as "primary bootable" which seems to have a drive name of the serial number of the drive..... or the just labled "primary" one? which is named something to the effect of HDD RECOVERY

the "primary bootabe" and it is a list of thousand or so files and their directores.. mostly temp files, jpgs, js etc.

Have to gotten far into "primary" it has selectable folders or directories or ???

All in all there are thousands of files...... is there a way to copy the list produced so I can then paste it into something such as a word or excell (OO version actually) that way I can actually search for the file extension or file name orrr to see if it even exist in the list produced?

coachgeo

#4 Post by coachgeo »

also since it was not actually "deleted" but another file (of same type) saved with the same name "replaced it" ...... will that change the old/original ones name to something else? or????

been looking for hours now

coachgeo

#5 Post by coachgeo »

coachgeo wrote:Should I be searching the partition noted as "primary bootable" which seems to have a drive name of the serial number of the drive..... or the just labled "primary" one? which is named something to the effect of HDD RECOVERY

the "primary bootabe" and it is a list of thousand or so files and their directores.. mostly temp files, jpgs, js etc.

Have to gotten far into "primary" it has selectable folders or directories or ???...
appears that the answer is "primary bootable" the stuff in the "primary" and its directories is very old.

This computer is new to me but a few years old before I purchased it. sometime in recent history it was upgraded to Win7. and more memory

cgrenier
Site Admin

#6 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, select the disk, confirm the partition table type and go in the Advanced menu and not in the Analyse menu.
Please try Undelete. I want to know if it solve the problem or not before trying something else.

coachgeo

#7 Post by coachgeo »

cgrenier wrote:Run TestDisk, select the disk, confirm the partition table type and go in the Advanced menu and not in the Analyse menu.
Please try Undelete. I want to know if it solve the problem or not before trying something else.
confused by your responce.

In the undelete section of TestDisk it shows two disks (assuming they're partitions of one disk) and you can select either one. Used only the Analysis menu to see if it gave me more of a clue about what partitian was what, in order to better understand which one to select in the undelete area. The key at the bottom of the window identified them as Primary Boot and Primary. While the key was not there in the undelete area....... the same codes (* & p) still labled them.

have yet to find the file in undelet in either disk (partition?). again noting that the Primary bootable one had what seems to be a thousand files (thus, easy to miss what Im looking for, hence wondering if I can copy past them into something searchable) . The primary (AKA one labled as hddrecovery') files were mostly 2005-2009 dated and appeared to be ones deleted when this computer was updated to win 7.

Still question if the file Im looking for; which was replaced with one of same name..... would be in undelete list under its orginal name since that name has been given to another file. Wondering if the computer would have assigned the orginal file a new name and put it in undelte list under that name? Anyone know?

BTW Admin- Thank you so much for your assistance. Hope to hell I can find the orginal file. To recreat it will take weeks, and the test* I and others need this study material for is before that.

* college- Anatomy Physiology. class grade average is a D (mine's a mid C)

cgrenier
Site Admin

#8 Post by cgrenier »

coachgeo wrote:In the undelete section of TestDisk it shows two disks (assuming they're partitions of one disk) and you can select either one. Used only the Analysis menu to see if it gave me more of a clue about what partitian was what, in order to better understand which one to select in the undelete area. The key at the bottom of the window identified them as Primary Boot and Primary. While the key was not there in the undelete area....... the same codes (* & p) still labled them.
Yes, they are partitions, the partition size and the filesystem label are displayed.
coachgeo wrote: have yet to find the file in undelet in either disk (partition?). again noting that the Primary bootable one had what seems to be a thousand files (thus, easy to miss what Im looking for, hence wondering if I can copy past them into something searchable) . The primary (AKA one labled as hddrecovery') files were mostly 2005-2009 dated and appeared to be ones deleted when this computer was updated to win 7.
If you are using TestDisk 6.14-WIP, after choosing Undelete, when you see the list with all the files, press 'f' to enter a filename filter (.ie .doc for get only the .doc files), press 'r' if you need to reset the filters.