Moving shared directories

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
IAmTheJoS

Moving shared directories

#1 Post by IAmTheJoS »

I'm currently recovering datas from a 1TB external HDD. Photorec is copying all files on my desktop so I'd like to move all the directories it creates into another HDD. During the copy process I have this message from windows:

"recup_dir.NUMBER is a shared directory. By moving this directory it woudn't be shared anymore. Would you like to continue?"

I don't know if this is the exact message in english too, I'm just translating from my italian OS. So, how can I avoid this? I don't want my folders to be shared because I have to click YES everytime that message appears... and it appears for each single folder.
Solutions? I'd like not to start the whole process from the beginning, if possible.

Thank you for your support and please forgive my terrible English.

Enzo Santilli.

Fiona

Re: Moving shared directories

#2 Post by Fiona »

Looks like, that windows reports your issue complaining about the ownership of the recovered files.
Especially Vista and Win 7 are very sensitive if UAC (User Access Control) is activated.
So it might be possible that ownership might be changed to your account after moving to another directory.