Elapsed and Estimated time keep getting bigger.

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
thomboulton

Elapsed and Estimated time keep getting bigger.

#1 Post by thomboulton »

I have corrupted jpegs on an SD memory card (as well as mp3's and a pdf - which I'm not bothered about losing).
The program so far has been the most successful attempt at recovering any of these files although it has stuck at getting back five and now the time keeps getting bigger and bigger Elapsed is currently 29.38 Estimated is 26.58.

I was hoping someone could explain if there is a problem or what I could do. These photos are of the Christmas just gone and in particular with a family member who may not be around for much longer. I would desperately like to get these photos back.

Thank you in advanced for any help.

Thom

MikeHalloran

Re: Elapsed and Estimated time keep getting bigger.

#2 Post by MikeHalloran »

Yeah, well, the estimated time to completion >is< an estimate. It gets better as the program runs.
It does take a while;
I'm currently working on the image of a 200Gb hard drive with no surviving directory structure. One scan to/from a USB drive takes around 32 hours.

I've found that PhotoRec does a _much_ better job of recovering files with a header, like photo files and spreadsheets, if you exclude text files from the search. It's not faster, but it recovers more of what you want.