Thought it was a big, now not sure...

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
WritersBlock

Thought it was a big, now not sure...

#1 Post by WritersBlock »

I was using 6.14 WIP and during file recovery on photorec, every so often it would freeze: nothing advanced, including the time and sector position.

Copy and pasting, and deleting a file would start up the process again (worked every time so far, and likely in access of 200)

It updates the timer to the correct amount of time, but even if left for ten-fifteen minutes, there isn't a large update in recovered files.

So it just seems to freeze.

I downloaded 6.13 and I get the same happening.

If I was to try to stop the seach, I would have to use the copy/paste or delete option for the option to appear.

Is it a known bug, or something particular to my hard drive? The hard drive might be damage somewhere hence the fact I'm recovering files.

WritersBlock

Re: Thought it was a big, now not sure...

#2 Post by WritersBlock »

Update on my post:

I'm increasingly thinking it's the hard disk issue. I'd be curious if anyone else has had similar issues and under what circumstances though.

Incidentally, the problems I reported in the OP ocured on Linus as well as windows 7

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Thought it was a big, now not sure...

#3 Post by cgrenier »

There are bad sectors. You can wait for the timeout each time there is a bad sector but the best is to clone the disk to a new empty one as described in http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk using ddrescue and once the copy is done, use PhotoRec on the clone.