Pictures recovered are scrambled

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
zslatch7

Pictures recovered are scrambled

#1 Post by zslatch7 »

I first used PhotoRec to attempt to remove the pictures and files (pictures are most important) from my 32 gb SDHC. When I did this, it only found the thumbnails of those images. I then used TestDisk to repair the boot sector and was able to get the contents of the card to show up in TestDisk. I then copied all the files over, finally gave up after 12+ hours. However, all the pictures seemed to be there except a few, but some of the ones that weren't missing were scrambled. By scrambled, I mean that half of the picture was moved to the left side and some had gray bars on half or more of the picture. However, most of the thumbnails for those images were fine, sans a few. Any ideas on how to get the full pictures?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Pictures recovered are scrambled

#2 Post by cgrenier »

It may be a problem with the FAT tables content or the new boot sector may point to bad FAT entries.
In PhotoRec, enable the Bruteforce mode in Options, you may be able to recover more pictures. It's very CPU intensive and takes hours or days.