Reinstalling Recovered Files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Allison

Reinstalling Recovered Files

#1 Post by Allison »

This is going to sound really stupid. We have had several power spikes in our area of England and our main computer came through fine until last week when it crashed totally to the point where I had to reformat the hard-drive in order to get the system to boot. I have managed to recover thousands of files from the looks of it using photorec and saved to an external hard drive (thank you so much - I am hoping that some really important stuff made it through).

Now, how do I reinstall the files to the desktop? I'm lost at this point. And the other question is will it reinstall the programmes that I see sitting in the various "recup" files? This is a system from my now deceased father and he had some programmes on it that run some of his files.

As to why no back-up? We received the computer just before we moved to England. I came over before my husband. I made a back-up of the computer just after we received it and then loaded on some files from where I used to work that are important. But did not have a chance to back them up before I left for England. My husband does not know how to do more than turn on a computer so I could not instruct in how to back up - it was too complicated for him. We have just unpacked the computer a week or two ago so no opportunity in the midst of unpacking everything else - international relocations are something else.

So anyone's assistance would be much appreciated in how to reinstall the files and ?programmes? from the external hard-drive.

Allison

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Reinstalling Recovered Files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The programs need to be properly reinstalled from the software source (CD/DVD/...), you can't use the recovered programs because the files don't have their original filenames.
The recovered data files (doc/xls/jpg/...) can be recopied to the working computer.