Mac file recover Toshiba external hard drive

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Oceans

Mac file recover Toshiba external hard drive

#1 Post by Oceans »

I unwittingly deleted some photos before they were transferred to the external hard drive from iphoto.
Trying to recover but not sure how to do it.
There is a back up file for the system in the .trashes folder on the external hard drive however this is light gray and I cannot save it to the desktop as the start up disk is full.

When I start up PhotoRec there are four options: >Disk/dev/disk2-1000 GB/931GiB (RO); >Disk/dev/disk3-1000 GB/931GiB (RO), >Disk/dev/rdisk2-1000 GB/931GiB (RO), >Disk/dev/rdisk3-1000 GB/931GiB (RO).

I am unsure what these disks are and am unsure of how to proceed.

I would either like to retrieve the photos from the Mac hard drive or the back up files from the external hard drive.
Advice?
Thank you.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Mac file recover Toshiba external hard drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You should follow http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

TestDisk lists the disk it can access. In your case, it lists 2 disks, each with a disk and a rdisk device. It's better to use a rdisk device than a disk device. If your disk isn't one of those two, choose Sudo.

External disks are usually mounted in /Volumes, so got to this folder if you want to save the files to an external disk.