What's the deal with TXT files?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
lockheed

What's the deal with TXT files?

#1 Post by lockheed »

I have been running Photorec on my lost partition since several hours. So far, it retrieved 50 000 files, out of which 40 000 is text files that make no sense when I look into them, and that did not exist before.

What are they, and why are they being recovered?

Deleted User 4350

Re: What's the deal with TXT files?

#2 Post by Deleted User 4350 »

Same question here, photorec recovered plenty of .txt files and also many .icc files (some .icc weight 50gb). thank you.

lockheed

#3 Post by lockheed »

Add to that bucketload of some random html files that are not actually html files. This is all quite strange.

lockheed

#4 Post by lockheed »

I say this forum is buzzing with support. Neither this simple question, nor my other detailed post about recovering lost partition got any response since over a week.

Quite impressive for an esteemed data recovery forum.

Lito

#5 Post by Lito »

As far as i know, this software is free and without any kind of implied garanties about performance or support. You agree to use it at your own risk. This does not mean that you have to use it. This wonderful software is produced by someone who gives his work, time and knowneldge to help others. The source of the programme is provided, so in theory at least, you could adapt it to suit your needs. By the way if you choose to press "s" in the programme options, you can deselect al file families. Then you can choose which file family or families you would like to recover. There is also a Step by Step guide on how to use Photorec, examples and a FAQ section. On top of that you can search the forum for similar problems or questions. If that does not work, there is always the chance of buying some data recovery software.

Best of luck

lockheed

#6 Post by lockheed »

Thanks, but what does it have to do with anything I talked about?
Lito wrote:As far as i know, this software is free and without any kind of implied garanties about performance or support. (...) This wonderful software is produced by someone who gives his work, time and knowneldge to help others.
So what? I am not criticizing the software. I am talking about lack of support on this forum.
By the way if you choose to press "s" in the programme options, you can deselect al file families. Then you can choose which file family or families you would like to recover.
That doesn't answer my question "what are those files and why are they there".
There is also a Step by Step guide on how to use Photorec, examples and a FAQ section. On top of that you can search the forum for similar problems or questions.
Non of which provide any information on what I was asking about.
Best of luck
I guess that's what I'll need it since I can't get any support around here.

Thanks for your relevant and valuable input.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#7 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec may recover fragment of text files. If you don't care about them, disable txt file family in FIleOpt.