Endless identical files and unreasonable time, please help!

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
sandlioncurse

Endless identical files and unreasonable time, please help!

#1 Post by sandlioncurse »

So a couple of days ago, my friends and I recorded some video footage on my Nikon D5100 and when I first connected the SD memory card to my computer to transfer the files, it transferred about half of the files pretty quickly, about 3-5 minutes. But then the time suddenly changed to about 1 and a half hour, to which I thought it had kind of froze so I canceled the transfer, ejected the SD card(without using the safe eject method) and then tried reinserting the SD card again.
However, this time the SD card wouldn't let me transfer anything because it couldn't connect correctly with my computer anymore. It only said that I needed to format it(and I know this deletes the files so I refused). I tried ejecting it more times to see if it only was messing with me but no matter how many times I reinserted it, it would still tell me to format the SD card. I even tried to put the SD card into the camera and connect it to my computer through it, but even the camera told me that the SD card needed to be formatted.

I've tried several file recover programs but none has worked too good(These programs either didn't find anything or didn't work at all; Asoftech Data Recovery, CardRecoveryPro, EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional, Launch Data Recovery, Lazesoft Data Recovery for Windows 32 bit).
Photorec is the one program which I've recovered some files with, not the ones I need though since it has recovered files much older than those I need. Then after about 30 good files that I recognize as actual footage I recorded, I receive an endless amount of identical files that aren't even usable. They're 0 seconds long so not much more than an image and they just keep on coming.
Also, the estimated time started at about 1 and a half hour but then it quickly rose to 6 hours and the next time I checked it it was up in 20 hours. I left it overnight and now it's stuck at 73 hours and won't decrease, it only gives me more identical, worthless files.

I don't know whether to actually leave it going in the hopes that it eventually will finish and give me the files I want or if this just isn't meant to work and is a total waste of time.

Please help me and I will be forever grateful!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Endless identical files and unreasonable time, please he

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Does PhotoRec display read error messages ?
Do you have this problem with latest 7.0-WIP version ?

sandlioncurse

#3 Post by sandlioncurse »

Yes, it does show "Error reading sector" a whole lot.
Also, yes, I'm using the 7.0-WIP version.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Try to clean the memory card connector. After that if PhotoRec still reports read error problems, you will have to contact a data recovery company. There is probably an electronic problem.

sandlioncurse

#5 Post by sandlioncurse »

Okay. Should I maybe try to recover data using another computer then? Could that work?

sandlioncurse

#6 Post by sandlioncurse »

I tried on another computer and it found all of the files. However, while some works, other doesn't want to play at all. Why is that and is there some repair program I could use to fix those that doesn't want to play? (They are about the same size as all the playable files. The only real difference that I notice is that it doesn't want to play)

cgrenier
Site Admin

#7 Post by cgrenier »

Can you send me a short original unmodified video taken with your camera and a short video file recovered by PhotoRec ?

sandlioncurse

#8 Post by sandlioncurse »

Do you mean that I should send one random working video and one of those that doesn't work? Where should I send them?(sorry, I'm pretty new here).
I've uploaded the files to my public folder in my dropbox, I hope that'll work too.

Here's the link to the working one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/656 ... C_0464.MOV
and here's the link to the non working one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/656 ... 2_ftyp.mov
I know that you can right click and save the link to get the file.

Thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

#9 Post by cgrenier »

Do not disable jpg file recovery in File Opt. Two jpg are present in f18443712_ftyp.mov.
Please tell me if it solve the problem.

sandlioncurse

#10 Post by sandlioncurse »

I did what you said but it didn't make any difference, I just received more files(mostly pictures) but none of the non working files started working after this test.
Btw, what did you mean by "Two jpg are present in f18443712_ftyp.mov"?