Corrupted CR2 Files Recovered

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
KWSW

Corrupted CR2 Files Recovered

#1 Post by KWSW »

My DLink DNS 320 NAS Raid 1 fail recently with status degraded and unable to rebuilt for some unknown reasons (It just refuses to complete and will restart into an endless loop). I took out one disk to testdisk and created a image which I am am using photorec 6.14 to recover the files.

As I used the NAS for archiving purposes, I mainly store two type of files inside the NAS, the CR2 (EOS 7D Raw) and XMP files (from lightroom) plus a few other mis files like psd files. Photorec looks to be able to recover files as shown in the screenshot:

But when I copy out one CR2 files to test, Lightroom & Photoshop are not able to open them. Even when I preview them (I have installed the windows program to preview RAW files), I get a black image.

Yet I have no issues with opening the XMP files

Is there something I am doing wrongly? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Corrupted CR2 Files Recovered

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you try PhotoRec 7.0-WIP and tell us if you still have the problem or not ?

BustedLens

#3 Post by BustedLens »

Hi,

I am experiencing the same symptoms when trying to open CR2 files that have been recovered using PhotoRec 7.0-WIP

I can supply sample files if required.

Using preview, I am shown a black window with the file name (.cr2) followed by Locked in the tool bar.

File sizes are around 22mb.

Kind regards,

Andrew

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Yes, please provide some unmodified file samples.

TonyKenya

#5 Post by TonyKenya »

To whom may help me out!
I was moving (command-move : mac) a folder of image (CR2) files from a folder on the computer to an external hard drive, the process seemed to be complete so I ejected waited for the disk image to unmount and disconnected the hard drive - there were no alerts or warnings.
Upon reconnection of the drive the destination (new) folder was not accessible (greyed out).
I managed to force open the folder through menu>services>open only to find that during the transfer process somewhere 2 folders of images vanished.
The original folder and all contents were gone.
I used photorec and found many CR2 files INCLUDING ones from approximately the correct dates. however the file sizes are very small - less than 5mb where usually they are around 20mb and cannot be opened.
Is there any thing I am doing wrong?
I also used blacklisted_site Photo recovery - it found similar files but upon recovery the files were mostly over 100MB to 4GB and these images will not open either!!
Any help would be most appreciated
Many thanks,
Tony