ARW file recovery Sony a7S Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: ARW file recovery Sony a7S

#11 Post by cgrenier »

Using a small memory card, take a few pictures.
Run TestDisk, Advanced, Create Image
Open the image.dd file using PhotoRec, search for files - choose [Whole] instead of [Free].
If no arw files are recovered, send me the file via Google Drive or snail mail, I will have a look at the problem.

mikepesh

#12 Post by mikepesh »

cgrenier wrote:Using a small memory card, take a few pictures.
Open the image.dd file using PhotoRec, search for files - choose [Whole] instead of [Free].
If no arw files are recovered, send me the file via Google Drive or snail mail, I will have a look at the problem.
The smallest card I could find is an 8GB. I have tried to re-partition the larger cards for this test but they are forced to reformat, and seemingly re-partition each time I put them in the camera (Sony a7II FWIW).

I simulated the steps on my 64 GB card which was that I formatted it, and shot one photo before I realized that I had not downloaded the card. So, on this 8GB card, I shot 2 photos, formatted, shot 2 more.

So far, neither testdisk nor photorec will open fully... Going to troubleshoot some more and return to this thread.

=====

I had to reboot in order to kill the processes that would not stop for testdisk and photorec. I am making an image of the 8GB card now and will let you know what comes of it.

OK... :( :!: :!: I ran photorec on image.dd and only came back with the photos that are not deleted or gone due to formatting. I will post the image to google drive and share the link.

mikepesh

#13 Post by mikepesh »

Here is the link: let me know what you think I should do and THANK you for the assistance!

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxhwBio ... sp=sharing

mikepesh

#14 Post by mikepesh »

Any thoughts?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#15 Post by cgrenier »

I have uploaded a new 7.1-WIP version. Can you try it? The two .ARW from image.dd are recovered as .SRW (Sony RaW) but there aren't truncated anymore.

mikepesh

#16 Post by mikepesh »

I just saw your reply... I will try the new version but I believe you got he same result as I did, which is only the 2 NEW images since the format. I had a few HUNDRED before the format... Trying soon and will post the results.

mikepesh

#17 Post by mikepesh »

mikepesh wrote:I just saw your reply... I will try the new version but I believe you got he same result as I did, which is only the 2 NEW images since the format. I had a few HUNDRED before the format... Trying soon and will post the results.

Sadly, as I expected, I was only able to recover the files that are already readable on that cf card, NOT the ones prior to the format by the camera. I wonder now if there is something with the way my Sony a7II formats the cards; like it might be partitioning the card...

I do believe that I was able to recover in the past but it was so long ago, that it might have been on my a6000 and not the a7II....

All this effort and in the end, I am bummed.

I appreciate all that you have done to help me out!

philcolbourn

#18 Post by philcolbourn »

mikepesh wrote: 09 Mar 2016, 17:53 Here is the link: let me know what you think I should do and THANK you for the assistance!

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxhwBio ... sp=sharing
With 7.1 WIP for OSX (downloaded today, 30/4/2017), photorec recovered 1 .apple, 2 sr2, 2 bdm, and 1 xml file.

Are the sr2 files supposed to be .ARW files?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#19 Post by cgrenier »

arw and sr2 are both raw file format from Sony. Using an extension or the other should have no impact.

AdelaLourd

#20 Post by AdelaLourd »

cgrenier wrote: 09 Mar 2016, 08:38 Using a small memory card, take a few pictures.
It work for me. Thanks.