Laptop Harddrive reading but unresponsive

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
MartyRagnarok

Laptop Harddrive reading but unresponsive

#1 Post by MartyRagnarok »

Hi there,

I am definitely not as tech saavy as most of the people here but I was hoping someone could help me.

I had an old Gateway laptop that had been broken for about a year that I want to recover some files off of. I thought that only the screen was broken on it but when I hooked it up to the TV with an HDMI cable it would start booting windows but get stuck at a grey screen that looked similar to the sign in screen but the computer would be totally unresponsive after that. I bought a USB 3.0 to Sata 2.5 Harddrive encloser and installed the hard drive from my laptop into the encloser. When I plug the old harddrive into my new computer it starts spinning and I get two new drives Local Disk (Q:) which always comes up as access denied and another drive named System Reserved (H:). No matter what I do Local disk Q will always freeze explorer and System reserved shows up with no files in it although it reads as being half full.

Can anyone send me in the right direction to try recovering the files on these disks. I have a lot of old photos I would love to get back. I know that all the information I want is on Local disk Q: just not sure how to get there.

Thanks in advance if anyone has the time to look at this problem,

Marty