Non-interactive mode

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
opalenzuela

Non-interactive mode

#1 Post by opalenzuela »

I've just discovered this great tool, and I could go through my old laptop's harddrive to recover an accidentally deleted backup that I've thought lost for good until now.

However, I believe this program (PhotoRec) could be even more powerful with an non-interactive execution mode: all the options specified by launch parameters, and/or taking default values for each option. This could help many users with less technical knowledge to perform a recovery from a "cheat list" of oneliners.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Non-interactive mode

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Well, if you press enter each time, you have the default options...

opalenzuela

Re: Non-interactive mode

#3 Post by opalenzuela »

Yes, but still it would be required the user's intervention, which in fact makes no difference in the real program execution.

In the Linux/Unix world it's a big deal to solve problems with just one line of code - no matter how long and cryptic it is - because that lets you execute it as part of a more complex process, and controlling if each step was successful or not.

And it's not only about using default values, but also to be able to specify all the relevant values (filesystem, for instance) from the command line.