Small mpg files instead of large iso files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Bithawk

Small mpg files instead of large iso files

#1 Post by Bithawk »

The initial Drive list for my PC.
The initial Drive list for my PC.
Photorec Drivers Display.PNG (50.52 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
I am attempting to recover a 1TB int drive with many large .iso files using Photorec 7.0 to a int data drive(750GB). The recovery ran for approximately 3hrs at which point I stopped it and created a image_remaining.dd file when I realized that the recup.dirxxxx folders(1098) contained only small(4kb) .mpg files, not large .iso files. Something is not right, can anyone explain why I don't see .iso files on my destination drive? Did I miss a setting? I have attached the initial drive list screen and the last screen which hung for some reason.
:o
Last Scrn shot before it hung.
Last Scrn shot before it hung.
Photorec_remain Scrn.PNG (58.01 KiB) Viewed 2614 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Small mpg files instead of large iso files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Disable mpg in FileOpts. Does it solve the problem ?
If it's not the case, disable everything and only enable .iso.
Good luck

Bithawk

#3 Post by Bithawk »

Thanks for the replay, Christophe. I am doing as you suggested right now..iso files only. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Bithawk

#4 Post by Bithawk »

My Update: Selecting iso only made a difference. Out of 66 large iso files I was able to recover 32 files. Unfortunately, several files were merged with parts of other files and several files were incomplete(lost the the last 5-10 min of file).
I plan to make another run at this disk but first I am going to try to see if there is still a file structure on the drive by booting up on Ubuntu boot disk. All the labels for the iso files were missing and I will need to recover this as well to ID each iso file. Question; each recover process states "Pass 1...", is there a pass 2 or how do I initiate a second pass?
If there are any other suggestions I welcome your input. Thanks again for the assistance. BTW, I tried the PPhotorec 7.1, which seems to be a Windows GUI that didn't seem fully functional. Is this a beta version that I could try?