External WD MyCloud disk size not correct

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
swngdncr

External WD MyCloud disk size not correct

#1 Post by swngdncr »

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a WD MyCloud drive that I am trying to recover files from. But, when I run the photorec program, it sees the drive, but the size is incorrect. I have the WD drive connect directly to the Mac via a Gigabit/Ethernet adapter. (I gather that connected on the network, it just doesn't show up as a drive that any of the recover programs seem to recognize).
Photorec does see the drive, I got that figured out and know which on it is, but it reports a 3TB drive as being 102GB. Is there anything that I can do to set up this WD drive so that Photorec can scan it and hopefully recover the files?
I was moving photo files to this drive and accidentally deleted a folder with 600 pictures in it. Totally unaware that there is no "undo" or "trash" on a network drive like this.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: External WD MyCloud disk size not correct

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you want to recover files from your NAS, you have to use a version of PhotoRec compatible with the NAS processor and kernel version and run it from the NAS itself via SSH, or hook the disk from the NAS to a Linux computer. It's pretty technical, so you may have to contact a data recovery company.