MASSIVE THANKS!

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cubbychan

MASSIVE THANKS!

#1 Post by cubbychan »

I've used PhotoRec twice now and it has saved my life! I have, of course, now donated, but also wanted to get in touch and say thank you.

My latest problem was quite odd. I was using a card reader to transfer CR2 files taken on my DSLR. Windows was saying the card was not formatted. Upon placing it back in my camera it also said it was not formatted. I formatted it in camera and it said I had 8GB space. Putting it back in the card reader, it again said it was not formatted. The drive manager was saying it was 1.95GB. On running PhotoRec it only saw a 1.95GB drive. I tried other cards and they all had the same problem.

Eventually I traced the problem to a faulty card reader. I tried another and PhotoRec was able to see all 8GB and recover my files.

It was a heart stopping 5 hours while I tried all sorts of fixes!

I don't know what was happening in the card reader to make the card unreadable both on PC and in camera and to make it appear as 1.95GB. But luckily it didn't damage any data on the card.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: MASSIVE THANKS!

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You are welcome ;-)