Can you please help me to recover data from SD card!

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
JFDO

Can you please help me to recover data from SD card!

#1 Post by JFDO »

Hi,

I had a micro SD card in my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. SD card had pictures, PDFs, S-note files, Word documents etc.

Day before yesterday, I connected my Tab to internet through my mobile phone tethering.
I got a message saying there is an Android upgrade from 4.4.2 to 5.1.1.
Also asked me to back up before installation.
I copied some files from Tab device memory to SD card. And then removed the SD card. After that did the upgrade.
Put the SD card back and I can see the files I copied yesterday. Most of the old files I can not see. All Folders and sub-folders are there but they are empty. It is a 32GB card and now it says there is about 27.9GB free space.

I have a card reader and SD card can be connected to my laptop (OS : Windows 7, and 32-bit).

1) I downloaded the TestDisk (Windows version) 2nd from the top (after DOS/Win9X).
Is this the correct version of TestDisk for 32-bit Windows machine?

I have a few questions as I am very new to this.

2) Source partition selection:
what is Source partition? and How I can find the "Source partition selection"? which one to select?

3) expert mode:
What parameters I should select in the expert mode? I did not understand the description.

"The expert mode option allows the user to force the file system block size and the offset. Each filesystem has his own block size (a multiple of the sector size) and offset (0 for NTFS, exFAT, ext2/3/4), these value are fixed when the filesystem has been created/formated. When working on the whole disk (ie. original partitions are lost) or a reformated partition, if PhotoRec has found very few files, you may want to try the minimal value that PhotoRec let you select (it's the sector size) for the block size (0 will be used for the offset)."

Thank you in advance for any help.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Can you please help me to recover data from SD card!

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try PhotoRec 7.1-WIP or QPhotoRec 7.1-WIP instead of PhotoRec 7.0, it may be easier for you.
Once you select the memory card, there is probably only one partition, so it will not be hard to select it.
Do not use the expert mode if your are a novice ;-)

JFDO

Re: Can you please help me to recover data from SD card!

#3 Post by JFDO »

Thank you for the reply.

Can PhotoRec 7.1 recover all file formats (PDf, S-note data (from Samsung Galaxy Note), C files, Python files, image files, word files etc.?
There is only one download (TestDisk) file is available, isn't it?
Could you please direct me to the correct place to download the file?

Thank you.
Best Regards

Fernando