PhotoRec of onboard storage Samsung Note 4 5.1.1

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Tones

PhotoRec of onboard storage Samsung Note 4 5.1.1

#1 Post by Tones »

Hi all,

Scenario to date.
Deleted on board and SD card photos accidentally.
Recovered the SD photos perfectly by connecting the SD card to the PC and running through the PhotoRec app.
Cool.
Now I need to "get at" the onboard memory.
Attempt 1, connect phone to PC, OK that just brings the phone up as a media device. Cannot see it as a USB Mass Storage device, fine that is a by-product of KittKat.
Yip, OK, opened up the Developer Mode (the 7 taps), USB debugging ticked on....no difference. Windows has it as a media device, and PhotoRec cannot detect it still.

Right, so all roads at this point seem to lead to rooting the phone. Which I am not very happy or confident about doing.

Therefore, my questions are...
1. Can I try anything else to get the onboard storage visible to PhotoRec? (an app on the phone to make it visible?)
2. If I have to go the root track, is this dangerous, I don't want to brick the phone, or am I being paranoid?
3. Can I unroot the phone once I have recovered the pictures?

After all that and I am back to being happy again, I need to eliminate the possibility of deleting my whole image collection.
I know how it happened, I had 2 folders, internal pictures and sd card pictures. When viewing the folder you get the last picture as the thumbnail. OK, so I wanted to delete those 2 pictures. Click them both and delete....Bang, all the contents of the folders gone.

So, my question there is....can I put in a "check" before a picture is deleted (or folder)? or was I just too quick for my own good.

Thanks
Tony

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: PhotoRec of onboard storage Samsung Note 4 5.1.1

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Normally there is no risk to root your phone and you can reverse the operation later on.

Tones

Re: PhotoRec of onboard storage Samsung Note 4 5.1.1

#3 Post by Tones »

OK, thanks, is there a correct method to root the phone. A real easy step by step guide would be very helpful.
Thanks
Tony