SD Card formatted - Data gone - Canon RAW files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ralemb

SD Card formatted - Data gone - Canon RAW files

#1 Post by ralemb »

Hi there,

I formatted by accident my sd card 32gb - I thought I copied over all data to my laptop on holiday but the latest files where only on the sd card.

First try on my Mac was not working. Only an apple file and a gz of 2GB which can not be extracted. But I chosed ext2/ext3 as a file system which might is wrong?

Now I try other plus the option of only searching for canon raw files - from the data type list.

Do I have to change any other option? Hopefully I will retrieve some of the latest photos I have on the card :/

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: SD Card formatted - Data gone - Canon RAW files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

I think the content of the card has been overwritten.
Run TestDisk, select the memory card, Advanced, Image Creation.
Compress the image.dd file. If it's very small, there is really nothing to recover.

ralemb

#3 Post by ralemb »

hi...

how exactly can i do that with test disk?

Actually i had also activated the low-level formatting at the camera.. that is really so bad. I am wondering because the complete formatting at the camera only took 2 seconds. I can't imaging hat 32GB are overwritten so fast???

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

If low level format is enabled, it's why you have lost everything! On SD card, erasing the content is a single command (DISCARD / TRIM) and is very fast, as almost nothing is written on the card (only the Flash Translation Layer is modified)

creativearson

#5 Post by creativearson »

Hello,
I have a similar issue although my camera is a Sony and not Canon and, to my knowledge, my camera doesn't have different levels of formatting. Nonetheless, I just ran PhotoRec and it only found files related to the card's architecture and none of the 1500 jpgs and video files I had on there. I did not use the camera and card at all after accidentally formatting. I brought the card to PhotoRec as soon as I noticed my mistake. Do you have any advice on what else I could do?
Thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

#6 Post by cgrenier »

Have you done the compression check ? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6105#p20045
If the resulting file is big, run PhotoRec, in Options, enable the expert mode, start a recovery, choose a blocksize of 512, use the default options otherwise.

creativearson

#7 Post by creativearson »

Sorry, I don't see where to do a compression check, nor do I see anything about it in the previous comments or in the step-by-step guide. What am I missing?