Corrupt SD Card - Error Reading Sector

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ChrisB

Corrupt SD Card - Error Reading Sector

#1 Post by ChrisB »

Hello, I was using a 16GB SD Card on a trip when it stopped working the last day and now none of the photos can be accessed. If I load the SD card into the built in card reader in a PC or MAC in won't mount or be recognized. When I use a card reader along with PhotoRec, it will show that there is a 16GB card, but I keep getting "Error reading sector" throughout the scanning process. Any help would be gladly appreciated! I have attached a photo of the screen scanning in progress.

remy

Re: Corrupt SD Card - Error Reading Sector

#2 Post by remy »

I can't see the picture you attached, but this could be a failure of the flash or a controler corruption. Are you able to copy the card (bit to bit copy) with ddrescue under gnu/linux ?

ChrisB

#3 Post by ChrisB »

Hi Remy, my computer skills are limited and I am not sure how to do what you describe. I am thinking of taking the card into aRecovery House, hopefully they will have better luck with it than I have.

remy

#4 Post by remy »

We have had good feedback about RecoverFab, in Germany. But I have no proof of their efficency, I don't know them.

ChrisB

#5 Post by ChrisB »

I appreciate it Remy, thank you.

remy

#6 Post by remy »

If you want, I can do a free diagnose. If necessary, I'll transfer to recoverFAB. If not, I'll charge you with "free pricing" (you decide the value of my job) and half the amount will go for Christophe Grenier and free software developpment.

ChrisB

#7 Post by ChrisB »

I appreciate the offer Remy, but because I am in the United States, I think I will try a place that is more local. I am also trying to get the manufacturer of the card to reimburse me for any costs that I many incur for the recovery process.

Cheers,
Chris

remy

#8 Post by remy »

No chance on this side, I think. Perhaps they will give the value of the card, but not more.