Bug note: Photorec formed a striped volume out of two HDDs

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
perpendicular

Bug note: Photorec formed a striped volume out of two HDDs

#1 Post by perpendicular »

It ignored my selection to use the external drive as destination and formed one Volume out of the free space on my external (data storage HDD) and my internal (system HDD).

Result:
100GB invisible files eating up the free space on my internal system drive.
DaisyDisk shows, that the lost space on internal drive is used as "Volume" and files are from photorec (recup_dir.1 to 14 and a part of recup_dir.15, the rest of the recup_dir.15 and 16 to 71 was written to my external drive. Those on the external part15 and 16 to 71 is visible! 1-14 and part15 on internal is not in Finder).

perpendicular

Re: Bug note: Photorec formed a striped volume out of two HDDs

#2 Post by perpendicular »

I'd like to attach a screenshot of the Finder after setting it to show everything.

What you see should not be the case, when one selects Volume "OhneTitel" as destination where the recovered files should go.

internal drive holds: all folders recup_dir.1 to 14 and a portion of the recup_dir.15
external drive holds all recup_dir.16 to 71 and a portion of recup_dir.15

Edit: uploading the file is not possible. a 200kb jpeg is too big for this forum. :?:

perpendicular

Re: Bug note: Photorec formed a striped volume out of two HDDs

#3 Post by perpendicular »

I changed the size. Here is a picture.
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-23 um 04.22.45.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-23 um 04.22.45.png (207.29 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Edit: I did the recovery a second time. It seems when one highlights the direction MacintoshHD/Volumes/Ohne_Titel (last one being my external) and the hits enter, the files get written into the directory MacintoshHD/Volumes and then, when the internal disk is full it starts using the external. I found out, you can force photorec to use only the external, when you first create a folder there and highlight MacintoshHD/Volumes/Ohne_Titel/foldername and hit enter. I think that should be added in the step by step guide!