Photorec shut's down during recovery

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
raddical

Photorec shut's down during recovery

#1 Post by raddical »

Hi!

Im kinda new to this whole thing so please go easy on me!

So... there is something wrong with my hdd, I don't know what though. It does show up under Disk management as a RAW harddrive (what does this even mean?), but it's healthy. And it also shows up in the explorer menu. But when I try to access it, it tells me it's a faulty file system.

So I googled and found this program photorec... And even though it's kinda hard to understand for someone who just started to dig into this kinda thing. Aaaand here I kinda have two problems.
First, when Im going to choose which hdd to scan for files it doesnt tell me the name of the hdd on the comoputer, only the manufacturers name etc. am I overseeing something here?

And for my second problem, when I start the scanning it does what it should for about 20-30 min (aprox). Then the program just shut down without any furter notice :evil:. And when I restart the program and select to continue the previous session, all it does is start over and recover the same files as it did the first time, hence... Im getting nowhere here.

Can you fellas help me? Or maybe tell me where I am failing if that's the case..

Much appreciated!

Christian

remy

Re: Photorec shut's down during recovery

#2 Post by remy »

Did you try to recover with testdisk first ? Did you try another version (6.14 is better than 6.13) ? Did you try to change in the option to "low memory : yes" ?

raddical

#3 Post by raddical »

Didn't try any of what you suggested before. Giving it a shot tho. But I have a hard time figuring out what to do with testdisk, yes I am a complete beginner who just want's to save some data on his harddrive. Can you say if you know what my problems are, and how to solve them?

Trying the Low memmory fix now, comming back with results!

Edit: Low memmory fix didn't work :/

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

Would it be possible to upload a screen from TestDisk and Analyse?
It's your partition table.
If your partition in your partition table would be ok, it would be possible to run a boot sector diagnose.
It doesn't stress your disk as much.
If you're able to list your files, you could copy/backup them to another intact disk/partition.

Fiona