Custom extensions based of txt Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ymiaw

Custom extensions based of txt

#1 Post by ymiaw »

I have a bunch of files in my corrupted drive which have extensions like .gplan and .dplan, though they are nothing more than plain text files--the extensions are purely to get them to get syntax highlighting in Notepad++.

According to fidentify, those extensions are unkown. However I can't create a signature for them because they are just plain text files and thus have no specific hex header to look for. How can I get these extensions recognized during search?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Custom extensions based of txt

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Please share some file samples...

antidot

#3 Post by antidot »

Hello, I have the exact same problem : I'm trying to recover markdown files. The files I'm trying to recover are basically files created with Atom editor and saved with md extensions, or txt files created with Notepad and changed to md extension manually.

In both cases the files cannot be identified by fidentify ("unknown"). Looking at the hex dump of those files does not show any "magic value", it is just plain text.

However other markdown files such as those on github (example on Testdisk's github can be found here : https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cgsec ... /README.md) are properly recognized by fidentify as "txt", although, from what I see from hex version this README.md, there is no magic value either.

Please find sample files attached (sample.md and sample-2.md being not identified by fidentify, while README.md is).
Attachments
markdown-files-sample.zip
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

fidentify and photorec will failed to detect text files if they are smaller than 100 bytes or if the index of coincidence is not between 0.03 and 0.90.

antidot

#5 Post by antidot »

Thank you very much, that explains it all.

Once again, thank you for that awesome software.