How to set up custom signatures to recover file.7z.001, file.7z.002, ..., file.7z.0??

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
min2max

How to set up custom signatures to recover file.7z.001, file.7z.002, ..., file.7z.0??

#1 Post by min2max »

I have a bunch of system backup files compressed using 7z with file size set in 1GB like backup.7z.001, backup.7z.002, ..., backup.7z.0??, i.e. these backup 7z files were created by 7z command:

Code: Select all

7z a -v1000m backup.7z backup
on Ubuntu Linux so that all of these files are the 1GB breakup of 7z file. However when I tried to use PhotoRec to recover these deleted backup files, PhotoRec doesn't recognize these extensions in 001, 002, ..., 0?? during its scanning the hard drive. I also tried to create a custom signature file photorec.sig for these extensions, but it doesn't work either. My question is what is the correct format to create a custom signature file for these extensions in .001, 002, ..., and so on, so that PhotoRec can recognize these extensions when scanning the hard drive? Thanks for any clue.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: How to set up custom signatures to recover file.7z.001, file.7z.002, ..., file.7z.0??

#2 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec should recover .7z and .7z.001 with .7z extension.
Other .7x.* do not have constant/magic values that can be used to identify them, PhotoRec can't recover them.