No files found on CF card

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
KatManDEW

No files found on CF card

#1 Post by KatManDEW »

I have a CF card which was not recognized when I inserted it in a card reader. I removed it and put it back in the camera and the camera can't access the card anymore.

PhotoRec was unable to find any files on the card.

TestDisk lists the card as a 33 MB / 31 MB disk. The card sizes is 64 GB. TestDisk does not find any partitions on the card, and ends up at a screen for A: add partition, or B: load backup.

What should I select, A or B?

Or am I going about this wrong?
Attachments
TestDisk-2.jpg
TestDisk-2.jpg (158.24 KiB) Viewed 1948 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: No files found on CF card

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The disk capacity is wrong, the flash controller is probably damaged. You should contact a data recovery company. Software will not be able to fix this problem.

KatManDEW

Re: No files found on CF card

#3 Post by KatManDEW »

Thank you for the reply cgrenier.

It's disturbing that a card can be damaged easily.

Here's another disturbing situation - I pulled a 64 GB Lexar Professional 1066X card out of one of my bags and popped it in my new Canon 5D4, and the 5D4 was unable to access the card. I tried to format the card in the 5D4 and the format failed.

I popped the card out and immediately inserted it in my Canon 5D3 and the 5D3 had no trouble accessing the card. I snapped a photo with the card in the 5D3, and then moved the card back over to the 5D4.

The 5D4 no longer had any trouble accessing the card, and I was able to view the 5D3 photo on the 5D4. I was then able to format the card with the 5D4.