USB drive not detected

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ziffel

USB drive not detected

#1 Post by ziffel »

Hello,

Note:I have minimal computer skills

I have a Win Vista laptop with an attached USB drive that died. Was working fine, then nothing. Currently, My Computer displays the USB as a "removable disk" with a drive letter, but cannot access it; properties says "unknown file system" so I guess it's lost it's formatting and no FAT32. I opened PhotoRec but it too does not see the device so I am not able to select it to run that scan. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the next step?

Disk Manager lists the drive letter but indicates "no media", yet properties status is "working properly".

Any help appreciated!!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: USB drive not detected

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you remove the disk from its USB case and connect it directly via SATA ? Once it's done, try again testdisk.
If the disk has no SATA connector (ie. some WD disks), you will have to contact a data recovery company.

ziffel

Re: USB drive not detected

#3 Post by ziffel »

Sorry, I'm an idiot. In my haste and frustration I left out a critical word - "THUMB". The devise is a thumb drive. My apologies, still need help, still not working. Thanks!!