Recovered mp4 files all only 28bytes

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
chriss22

Recovered mp4 files all only 28bytes

#1 Post by chriss22 »

I'm hoping to recover a load of deleted mp4 video files from a USB connected 2tb drive on a Windows 10 PC. PhotoRec seems to find them but the 'recovered' files are all only 28 bytes in size and contain the same data which to my untrained eye looks like the file header only...

00 00 00 1C 66 74 79 70 6D 70 34 32 00 00 00 00
69 73 6F 6D 61 76 63 31 6D 70 34 32

I'm guessing it has not been able to recognise anything that it can interpret as being the 'file size'?

The files could be lost beyond the point of recovery but the fact that it has found something is giving me some hope!

Chris

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovered mp4 files all only 28bytes

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Have you been careful to not store recovered files on the source filesystem ?
Do you have the same problem using latest photorec 7.1-WIP ? (I have uploaded a new 7.1-WIP a few minutes ago)

chriss22

#3 Post by chriss22 »

Thanks for the reply.

I have downloaded the 7.1 version and it has started to find files.

There is over 72 hours of video files on an external drive that got deleted (dashcam footage from a roadtrip across Europe). Unfortunately I must have accidentally deleted them a few weeks or so back and only realised a few days ago. Fortunately that drive doesn't get used a lot and whilst some new files have definitely been written to it since, its nothing like the volume of files that has been deleted. If it just recovers a few then that is better than none.

Thanks

Chris

(Donation on its way)

blah

#4 Post by blah »

I had the same problem – photorec 7.0 was producing 28 byte video files on Mac OS 10.12.

I found this thread and tried 7.1-WIP, that one recovers full videos properly. Thanks for the fix!