USB became RAW

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
xplicitator

USB became RAW

#1 Post by xplicitator »

Hi everyone,

One of my USB sticks used to be working fine and then all of a sudden, the USB stick required me to format the disk to reuse again. I then realized that the problem came from the fact that my USB stick became RAW.

I went ahead and downloaded Testdisk as everyone recommended. When I ran the program, here are the steps I took:

1. I started off with choosing to create a log file.

2. Then I went on to choose my USB stick from my list of drives.

3. Chose Intel.

4. Chose Analyse.

5. Now this is the problem. When I got to this step, it said that the Partition sector doesn't have the endmark 0xAA55. I tried doing quick search anyways and I got nothing, so I pressed Enter and there was no partition found or selected for recovery. So I went into deeper search, but again, nothing came up and I pressed Enter again and the same message with no partition appeared.

Would anyone be able to help me solve this issue and recover my files from the USB stick?

Thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: USB became RAW

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, select the PhysicalDrive corresponding to your USB device, Advanced, select the partition, Boot, RebuildBS, List. If you can see your files, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.

If it doesn't work, use PhotoRec.
Good luck