Photorec recovers 1 gigantic zip file

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
spiritres

Photorec recovers 1 gigantic zip file

#1 Post by spiritres »

Greetings,

I've been using photorec to recover docx files. But what is happening is that photorec is recovering 1 zip file that grows to over 1 TB of data! The disk that is being scanned is about 1 TB, but I'm recovering the data to another 1.5 TB partition, and after running for 8 hours photorec tells me that there's not enough space and stops the recovery process. I see that there's 1 zip file of enormous size. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help you may offer.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Photorec recovers 1 gigantic zip file

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Did you disable the other file type ? It's usually better to use the default settings to avoid such big files.

spiritres

Re: Photorec recovers 1 gigantic zip file

#3 Post by spiritres »

Hi, thanks for your response. I did disable all of the other file types except for .zip.

I have tried this several times. Actually, when I originally wrote my first post here I was recovering from the wrong partition, however, when I pointed it to the right partition, there were still problems:
  • I selected .zip files only for the correct partition
    When I ran the recovery, it successfully recovered 12 docx and xlsx files, but the 13th docx file just grew and grew and grew in size until it was over 200 GB
    At that point, I stopped Photorec
The thing is, I know we didn't have any files of such gigantic size that we're trying to recover, all the files in question were under 10 MB in size (at most). I sincerely hope we can figure this problem out.

Thanks for all your assistance.