Delete files while recovery still on-going ?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
hallstevenson

Delete files while recovery still on-going ?

#1 Post by hallstevenson »

I would normally add this question to my previous post but it's not been moderated/posted yet, so here goes....

PhotoRec is currently salvaging thousands of MP3s for me. It's also getting very small MP3s (less than 10k, 150k, 250k, and so on) that I don't want. There are tens of thousands of these though and they're eating up disk space quickly. Can I go into "recup_dir1", "recup_dir2", and so on and start deleting those small MP3 file fragments ? Or does it keep track and this could screw things up ?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Delete files while recovery still on-going ?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Yes, you can delete unwanted files while recovery is going on.

hallstevenson

#3 Post by hallstevenson »

Have to admit, I got impatient and did start deleting. Figured if anything, I'd just have to start over.... Still didn't help though. I have ~100gb free on the drive I directed the recovered files to go to and I stopped (paused) the process when it reached 90gb !! There's no way I have that much in real MP3s though. I have ~25gb + 5-10 more that I consolidated from a couple of other machines. Sadly, one day after doing this, the drive corrupted !

Where are the add'l files coming from ? I can understand it can recover MP3s that I've deleted in the past, but to what extent ?

jackw92

#4 Post by jackw92 »

Hello, I am having a similar issue. However I deleted some of the entire "recup.dir..." folders from my recovered destination once it had said my drive was full. However now, once I had deleted the old recup.dir folders and reselected the same recovery destination, no new folders or files are being added to the directory. The program itself is telling me that files are still being found yet I can't find any of them with the search function.

Summary:

Drive got full midway through the recovery process. Deleted some recup.dir folders that I had already sifted through. Selected the same destination. Files are now not appearing and new recup.dir folders are not being created despite what photorec is telling me.

Where could my files possible be?