QPhotoRec recovering .dng not .cr2

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
zaniety

QPhotoRec recovering .dng not .cr2

#1 Post by zaniety »

I'm trying to recover about 200gb of .cr2s from an accidentally formatted SSD. Photorec seems to be finding them, but is spitting them out into .dngs most of whom are exactly 102,400kb that can't be read by Photoshop or Lightroom. Windows does show thumbnails correctly, but the data seems lost.

I tried selecting only the .tiff family to the same result. I'm using the 7.1 WIP version on Windows 10.

Any ideas?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: QPhotoRec recovering .dng not .cr2

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you share some original unmodified .cr2 files taken with your camera ?
I will check if I can reproduce the problem.

zaniety

Re: QPhotoRec recovering .dng not .cr2

#3 Post by zaniety »

I'm sorry for the delay in replying. But I realized the .dngs the program was finding were globs of previews created by Lightroom, once I let the program run for several days and tweaking settings, it was able to find nearly all of my original files! Using this tool, I was able to almost all of the 200gb of photos. This has saved my proverbial backside, and I am deeply thankful.

I have left that SSD disconnected from anything, and now finally have time to approach it again, are there any settings to be used to specifically find lightroom's catalog (.lrcat) file? Finding all these files has helped me immensely, but it would be nice to recover the settings I applied to all these photos and others that were safely stored on another drive.