Recent Versions of Quickbooks Files?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
pchelp

Recent Versions of Quickbooks Files?

#1 Post by pchelp »

Can anyone confirm whether PhotoRec recognizes the more recent Quickbooks files (past year or two up to the present)?

I've attempted recovery on a client's inadvertently reformatted drive that held numerous QBW and QBB files yet PhotoRec drew a complete blank. Meantime thousands of other files of numerous type were readily recovered. It stands to reason at least a few of the QB* files should be discoverable that drive.

Intuit is in the self-serving habit of changing its file formats on what appears to be a yearly basis. I wonder if a new signature is needed, or if anyone has created a custom signature for the purpose. I have no samples of the file type on hand.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recent Versions of Quickbooks Files?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

I really need file samples to test. Can you install QuickBook on another computer to get a few file samples ?

pchelp

#3 Post by pchelp »

I think I will have an opportunity to do just that on another client's system, hopefully tomorrow.

However I'm told the missing files in question may have been Quicken, not Quickbooks files, contrary to what I was first told. That said, I also searched for Quicken files so the same exercise may be of interest.

I don't own a copy of either program. I'll get it sorted out and do all possible to send you some useful samples.

Thanks for the excellent tool!

MikeOrlando02

#4 Post by MikeOrlando02 »

I need to resurrect this thread for a similar reason. I have a hard drive with bad sectors that I was able to make an image of using TestDisk. I am not using PhotoRec to attempt to recover QuickBooks 2016 data files or backup files. I am able to recover tons of files, but none when I check the Quickbooks file option. Can anyone confirm that the more recent versions of QuickBooks files can be recovered? I can provide a sample file if needed. Thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

#5 Post by cgrenier »

MikeOrlando02, please check using https://www.cgsecurity.org/photorec/
If your file is too big or isn't recognized, please send me the link or file directly.

MikeOrlando02

#6 Post by MikeOrlando02 »

Thank you! I will generate some test files and should be able to upload them to your tool.

MikeOrlando02

#7 Post by MikeOrlando02 »

I have a demo QuickBooks Company file and backup file. The backup is under 6MB, but your tool states "413 Request Entity Too Large" even though it is under 10MB. I tried to PM you though the forum and it also says too large. What is the best way to send it to you?

Thanks for dealing with this personally, really great of you.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#8 Post by cgrenier »

You can send me an email with attached documents or share them via Google Drive.

MikeOrlando02

#9 Post by MikeOrlando02 »

Sent. Thank you again.

MikeOrlando02

#10 Post by MikeOrlando02 »

I attempted to restore my .QBW data using the recommended File Options:

doc Microsoft Office Document (doc/xls/ppt/vsd/...), 3ds Max, MetaStock, Wilcom ES

I was able to recover several thousand files! Unfortunately, many of them seem to have random and similar file names and extensions. The extensions must not be correct or the files are corrupt as most of them do not open as the documents they appear to be. Some open and are repeats of others that were also recovered.

Cruelly, some of the file names reference QuickBooks, but none of them seems to be my company data file.
f7881887_QuickBooks_Payroll_Tax_Form_Reports.xls
f471638319_QuickBooks_Payroll_Reports.xls
f169264559_QuickBooks_Payroll_Liability_Balances_Report.xls
f62718911_Installation_Database.doc