Last Video From Recovery is in Rar Files? Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
chillstep

Last Video From Recovery is in Rar Files?

#1 Post by chillstep »

Hey, so this wonderful program worked amazingly to help me recover my videos from my SD Card but there is one last video that didn't extract properly...?

All the other videos extracted perfectly fine and I was able to use them for editing without the need to convert them. However, the very last video is in one of the Rar files? There are 3 Rar files inside the recovery folder along with the other recovered videos.

When I open the Rar Archives there is one file and the type just says file, and I can see the size matches up with the average 1080p 60p/fps video. I have tried extracting using 7zip but it only extracts a 60kb file, so I haven't had any success with attempts to extract the video from the Rars.

I have used the program twice to extract the files and the same video doesn't extract properly. It's weird because it's not even the last video I recorded. There is a video that extracted perfectly fine that was recorded after the faulty video I am after.

Is there any way I can turn these Rar files back into the original video? It's actually a really important video and I am praying it can be saved.

SD Card was used on my Nikon D5600 DSLR.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Last Video From Recovery is in Rar Files?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Disable rar file in File Opt and start a new search in PhotoRec. Does it recover your last video ?

chillstep

Re: Last Video From Recovery is in Rar Files?

#3 Post by chillstep »

cgrenier wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 06:49 Disable rar file in File Opt and start a new search in PhotoRec. Does it recover your last video ?
I actually was able to solve this by using the command prompt method.
https://youtu.be/dfs0jlaWJyY

"Steps -
1.Start - Run - cmd - Enter
2. Type drive letter eg. F:
3. Now type attrib -s -h /s /d *.* and ENTER
4 Wait for a while
5. And there you go , your data is recovered"

I received the message "the target of the symbolic link D:\USBC does not exist"
but I went back to my SD card drive and the hidden folder showed up!
"FOUND.000"
The CHK files are back! To open them I simply changed the file extension back to the original.
These files are videos, so for example I changed FILE0022.CHK to FILE0022.MOV and they work!
So if anyone out there has pictures or video, and you have the CHK files, simply change the extension back to the original.
EXAMPLE.CHK -> EXAMPLE.JPG or EXAMPLE.MP3 or EXAMPLE.WAV etc...

I was able to recover all of them and the one video I was missing from running PhotoRec. I'm not sure what the issue was, but i'm thankful for PhotoRec, it's an extremely useful program.

Thanks for your concerned reply cgrenier, take care! =)