Target Drive / Partition to Store recovered files not available

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
skinzzz

Target Drive / Partition to Store recovered files not available

#1 Post by skinzzz »

hey guys.
i have a seagate 160gb sata desktop hdd.
it has 4 partitions.
i believe its partition is corrupt, and its not recognising any partitions in windows.
if hdd is connected secondary, and windows is started from primary hdd, windows takes too long to start and then it doesnt show any partitions of the said hard disk.
after 5 mins or so, it does show all partitions but upon double clicking any of the partitions, it hangs.

i tried testdisk from sysrescue cd. i made a sysrescue fat32 bootable usb drive.
booted through it, went to advance, i can see the partition and files.
when i select files and press "c" to copy, i dont get any option to save the files on sysrescue bootable pen drive, which is 32gb and has lot of free space.
i also connected another usb ntfs partitioned disk, that too is not being shown to save "recovered" files.

after pressing "c" it shows . and .., upon going to .. it shoes some linux system files only.
no other drive letters are visible where i can save recvoerd files.
i also tried pressing arrow left, right keys as suggested elsewhere, but there are no files or directories other than those linux boot related files and directories.

need expert help.
thanks

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Target Drive / Partition to Store recovered files not available

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You should clone your damaged disk to a new empty disk as large or bigger than the original one.
Read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf chapters "Creating a live USB" and "DDRescue: data recovery from damaged disk".
Once it's done, remove the original disk and start from the clone.