Thumbnail JPEG's Only

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
falcon325

Thumbnail JPEG's Only

#1 Post by falcon325 »

Hello,
I am recovering photos off a 32GB microSD card. The card was full to the max, and I had some issues with the battery, so I think the headers were overwritten. I am running Photorec on a Macbook Air, but I also have a Macbook Pro, and an Alienware desktop with 64gb ram, and hexcore i7, if you think Photorec would perform better on any of those platforms.

I have successfully run Photorec twice. The first time, I did it in Paranoid mode, and it pulled only thumbnails (t*) from the jpegs. The second time I ran it in non paranoid mode. In this mode, Photorec finds the images, they are labeled f*, and they quickly pop up in finder, at the proper size. However, they quickly disappear (in about 1-2 seconds), in the f* size, and reappear in the t* size. If I click on the f* jpegs before they disappear, an error message pops up which says file not found.

Great program. Thanks for the assistance.

Daniel

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Thumbnail JPEG's Only

#2 Post by cgrenier »

When using PhotoRec, choose [Whole] instead of [Free] after selecting the partition.
You can also set Keep Corrupted Files to Yes in the Options menu.
What are the results ?