Restoring Recovered Files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
newtolinux

Restoring Recovered Files

#1 Post by newtolinux »

Hello everyone!

Not to long ago I messed up a linux partition install on my laptop and it looks like I did it on my windows partition instead of it's own dedicated space. I have yet to fix the problem, but a buddy was able to get me files with photorec that I needed. However, they are all 2.1mb in size and when I rename the files and place them back into my original programs, the programs say files are corrupted. Did photorec do something to the recovered files or encrypt them? How do I get them back to their original format? Any help would be highly appreciated. Also, is there any hope of fixing my partitions and getting windows back (This is not related to this forum, but wanted to ask anyway just in case someone might be able to help. My windows repair disc did not work for any option that was available). Thanks everyone!!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Restoring Recovered Files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

When a partition is formated as ext2/3/4, backup superblocks are written a little bit everywhere. It corrupts a lot of file.
It's very strange that all your recovered files have the same files. As you didn't specify the file extension or any other information, it's very hard to speculate about your problem...

newtolinux

Re: Restoring Recovered Files

#3 Post by newtolinux »

Hello and thanks for your response!

The files that were recovered were .dat file extensions. All the files that were recovered with these files were all different but the same size 2.1mb. I don't know what else I can share besides this?