Having problems recovering photos with photorec

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jezustaketheweel

Having problems recovering photos with photorec

#1 Post by jezustaketheweel »

Hello. I am trying to use PhotoRec to recover some photos on a 750GB HDD that came out of an old laptop of mine for which I had to replace the hard drive. It was running okay for about a week and recovering a variety of files, but then the other day I heard the drive making some unusual noises. After that the speed of the recovery greatly increased, but there were over 3000 directories created in the folder where I chose to save the recovered files, all containing the same photos and documents. Before the speed picked up it had gotten to 12% in about a week. Since then it has gone from 12% to 79% in 2 days. Does anyone know what happened and what I need to do from here? Thank you.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Having problems recovering photos with photorec

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If the original disk has some bad sectors, it's better to clone it to a new empty disk using ddrescue (see https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf )
Have you been careful to not store the recovered files on the same filesystem than the source ?

jezustaketheweel

Re: Having problems recovering photos with photorec

#3 Post by jezustaketheweel »

Thanks for the quick response. I'm a complete novice when it comes to data recovery, so I can't say I'm 100% sure what you're asking, but I have the old hard drive hooked up to my desktop computer with a DriveWire and I'm saving the recovered files to that computer. Does that answer the question?