Strange Patterns in recovered Photos

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
AahzChi

Strange Patterns in recovered Photos

#1 Post by AahzChi »

I am trying to rescue data from an internal SSD that was the main drive in a MacBook. It is formatted as HFS+.
The MacOS broke down, but the SSD is still accessible. However there seems to be an error, so some folders and files produce I/O errors. I tried to use photorec to receive many baby and family pictures.
But only small files can be recovered properly. As soon as ca. 500kB per file are surpassed, some errorneous blocks are introduced. I attached a picture(http://www.lasse-spoerkel.de/GeckosRuhr ... G_8203.JPG). I also looked at the hex code and see some repeating patterns in the following form:
0 - 0d6000: normal image code
0d6000 - 0f6000: Only zeroes
0f6000 - 1d6000 : normal image code
1d6000 - 1f6000:Only zeroes
1f6000 - 2d6000 : normal image code
2d6000 - 2f6000: Only zeroes
and so on.
Why is it so regular? Can I somehow repair it? Can I change some options in photorec or of the partition with testdisk, so this does not happen?
I am happy for every suggestion.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Strange Patterns in recovered Photos

#2 Post by cgrenier »

I have removed all zone that were zeros filed, it doesn't fix the file. It looks like the zones with all the zero are zones with missing/unreadable data.
Some data recovery company are specialized in recovery from flash, they may help.