Recovering Sony ARW files from SD card Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ihaveworms

Recovering Sony ARW files from SD card

#1 Post by ihaveworms »

I was shooting photos with a Sony A6500 with RAW + JPG settings. The raw files are .ARW extension and as you would expect, the JPG files are .JPG extension. After I shot several photos I used an adapter to connect the SD card to my phone's USB port so I could view some of the pictures. Usually this works fine, but my phone was prompting me with how to handle this device and somehow messed up the card. I assume the card's filesystem. When I then took the card out and put it in my computer, it says the card needs to be formatted and when I placed it in my camera, the camera didn't understand the format either and said it needed to be formatted. During this time, I did not do any additional writing to the card and didn't choose to reformat it.

I used photorec and the software was able to recover all the JPGs from the card, but I also want the .ARW raw files. I couldn't figure out how to get .ARW files off with photorec, but maybe I am just missing something. I did download Recuva and it saw all the .ARW files as you can see in the screenshot below, but when I recovered the files they were all corrupted/unable to open.

Any help getting the .ARW files would be much appreciated.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering Sony ARW files from SD card

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Arw files are part of the TIFF file family. PhotoRec should have been able to recover them. It may have recover them with another extension like tiff or dng...
Can you check ?
If it recover no such files, please share an unmodified uncorrupted arw taken with your camera.

ihaveworms

Re: Recovering Sony ARW files from SD card

#3 Post by ihaveworms »

I ended up going testdisk to recover the files from the card, so I am good now. Thanks.