At a loss and overwhelmed....

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
TSaha125

At a loss and overwhelmed....

#1 Post by TSaha125 »

Hi, I'm sure this has been answered over and over but I've searched through several pages and I'm not sure I'm understanding how to do this file recovery.

Background: I am in IT but i'm not a hardware person so sectors, partition etc is a foreign language to me.
Issue: Unbeknownst to me, about 6 weeks ago, I had deleted a group of videos going back 2 years (maybe about 15-20 of them). I didn't realize this until 4 weeks later (2 wks ago) and by then, I had erased my recycle bin.

I have tried to recover the data using R-Studio, Recuva and now I tried PhotoRec. I'm getting some files (I'm only looking for video files) but not the ones I am looking for.

I tried running PhotoRec but not sure I did it right. I originally ran it with block size of the whole disk. It stalled. So I restarted and made the block size 512. It seemed to go faster but it's still hanging. Now when I close out and go back in, it always asks me if I want to continue previous session.

Am I doing something wrong here? I'm hesitant to use TestDisk b/c that seems more complicated than this. But if you think that is better suited for this task, please do let me know.

Any help you can proivde is greatly appreciated!!!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: At a loss and overwhelmed....

#2 Post by cgrenier »

As new data have been written to the disk, your old videos may have been overwritten...
Do you see your videos when using testdisk, Advanced, undelete ?

TSaha125

Re: At a loss and overwhelmed....

#3 Post by TSaha125 »

Hi, I have not tried that - should I? Would it be better than PhotoRec? PhotoRec (when I use the wizard and choose video files and choose recycle bin for location) kicks out when it hits the 3rd of 5 drives. I only know my C: drive so not sure what drive it kicks out on ....something related to a smart drive (no idea how it got there or if it was there before). But if I manually search only C: drive without the wizard, it does not give an option to look only at recycle bin.

I can try testdesk if that is better.

Thanks,
Trina