Trying to Recover JPG Photos from 1TB drive

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
JohnDough

Trying to Recover JPG Photos from 1TB drive

#1 Post by JohnDough »

Years ago I had backed up all of my photos, drum roll... onto only one 1TB USB hard drive. Tons of photos going back to the 1990s. Photos when I traveled, got married, first child, etc. Ive begun to back up most of my photos from 2010 and newer, but the stuff I stored on my 1TB drive is starting to show problems. I have folders that will show a couple photos but all of the rest of them I am unable to view anymore. Here is what it looks like...

https://imgur.com/a/2vePT

Most everything on this back up drive including PDFs, word docs, even AVI videos all seem fine. Just JPG images seem to be a problem.

Would running TestDisk help me at all since most everything else seems fine? Or should I try PhotoRec right away?

Am I able to run PhotoRec on a specific folder or do I have to do the whole drive. Im guessing the entire drive would take forever. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Trying to Recover JPG Photos from 1TB drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, Advnaced, List, try to copy a picture Windows can't display.
Does the copied file can be displayed ?

JohnDough

Re: Trying to Recover JPG Photos from 1TB drive

#3 Post by JohnDough »

All of the photos that I cannot display are 164kb file size (whereas normal photos are 1 to 3 MB). I can copy the unviewable JPG to another location but the file will actually be smaller at the new location, say 78kb.

I currently use Ubuntu as my desktop. I'll try some different file managers (instead of Nautilus) and also try viewing my files on a Windows computer.