Recovered photos are resized

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ClassicVAG

Recovered photos are resized

#1 Post by ClassicVAG »

Hi all

Hope someone can help me with photo recovery.

The situation is that I have a Synology NAS-drive (DS 416Play) where I accidentally deleted a folder with all my photos in. The setup is 4 drives set up with Synology SHR and ext4.
I have removed the drives and connected them to a computer with USB -> sATA. Computer is running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I have managed to find the drives. So far so good.

Photorec is installed and are recovering files, but it seems that all the photos are resized to smaller dimensions than the original. Haven't checked all off course, but quite a few and they are all smaller than the original images on the drive.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is there other software that might be able to do this instead?

Best regards
Lars-Inge

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovered photos are resized

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If the files are named t*.jpg, they are thumbnails, f*.jpg should be full size jpeg.
When recovering from an ext4 filesystem, be careful to select ext2/3/4 filesystem type.

ClassicVAG

#3 Post by ClassicVAG »

I just checked and all the small ones are actually named "txxxxx"

Should have read the manual before asking, sorry about that.

If I understand this correctly there will actually be two files for each image then?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Yes, they should be 2 files per original jpeg. But if the original file is fragmented, only the thumbnail will be recovered successfully. In ext2/3/4 filesystem, blocks named indirect blocks need to be detected and skipped by PhotoRec otherwise only very small files are recovered correctly, it's why you should check that the ext2/3/4 mode is enabled.

ClassicVAG

#5 Post by ClassicVAG »

Hi

Thanks, that explain the small images at least.

What do you mean by "ext2/3/4 mode is enabled"?
The file system is detected as ext4 and that is correct as far as I'm aware. Keep in mind thought that I'm far from an expert on Linux...rather a newbie :-)

I have another problem now actually. During recovery the computer crashed for some reason, most likely do to failure on the internal RAID-controller, which I don't use to be honest so it's not a big deal.

I have restarted the computer and it's booted up just fine (Ubuntu 16.04).

However, the disks are not showing up as they did before. Previously I had a logical volume with the correct size (from the NAS). Now I have them listed as the picture below shows. SDB, SDC, SDE and MD126 are the drives that was installed in the NAS.

Since I'm not an expert, it is possible to just run photorec on each individual disk?

Best regards
Lars-Inge
Attachments
DSC_0107.JPG
DSC_0107.JPG (91.95 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
DSC_0108.JPG
DSC_0108.JPG (104.15 KiB) Viewed 3627 times