Newby needs to recover lost files after failed partition move

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Daryl

Newby needs to recover lost files after failed partition move

#1 Post by Daryl »

Not sure where to start. I have a 250g HD with a 50g partition. I was moving the partition with Gparted. It failed half way through. I have not touched it since except to remove it from the computer case. No records of the move or the failure were saved. I have installed testdisk and photorec and attempted to access a different HD for practice before I take any chances with the HD in question. My feable attempts to access the practice drive were a total failure. I did manage to see the partitions on the disk and the file attributes (permissions, etc) but no actual files.
What I need to know is, is my data lost because of my failed partition move or is there hope of recovering it? Please point me in a direction to start.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Newby needs to recover lost files after failed partition move

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you have been unable to list the files from your lost partition using testdisk, run PhotoRec, select the disk, Proceed, use 'a' to manually add a partition (it will not be saved on the disk, no worry) using the space of the original partition location and also the "free" space where you have tried to move your partition and start a recovery from this partition.

Daryl

Re: Newby needs to recover lost files after failed partition move

#3 Post by Daryl »

Although I found and installed testdisk I cannot find photorec download. I keep finding a link for "testdisk and photorec download" but when I click it I only see "testdisk download". Is photorec a part of the testdisk program or is it a seperate program? Where is it? Also, as a beginner I need to ask, is there a danger of causing more harm or are these programs "read only"?
Thanks for your time.