Mov file recovery issues

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
lironzz

Mov file recovery issues

#1 Post by lironzz »

HI everyone
I have been trying vigorously to recover some files off my corrupted 16gb microsd card that i used with my olmypus tough camera.
I have successfully recovered all jpeg pictures but there should be some 80 odd mov files that I am facing difficulties with.
I am using photorec 7.1 on a windows 7 64 bit OS. When i recover them about 80 mov files come out all with names like f8804480_ftyp and they all seem to show the right file type, length of play, size etc although when played they show a black screen and white noise.When I choose to show mdat files separately in photorec then about 199 files show up but they are all named the same with names like f8804480_ftyp. They all show fairly large size files with expected time of play etc and so far i can't see any distinction in these files that could help me match them up.
I am really hoping somebody could help me out here.
Thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Mov file recovery issues

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try to concat the mov files as explained in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf chapter "Recovering lost videos from a memory card using PhotoRec"

lironzz

#3 Post by lironzz »

Thanks for the reply, but I have read that and followed the instructions. My issue is with what happens after i recover the files and being able to distinguish them. There is no indication which files are Mdat that i can see. All files are atleast a few MB and names are the same. Although when separeted the number of files is almost tripled.

lironzz

#4 Post by lironzz »

Still having issues, was wondering if anybody has any suggestions?
Cheers

cgrenier
Site Admin

#5 Post by cgrenier »

You need to use latest 7.1-WIP, not an older version.

lironzz

#6 Post by lironzz »

Thanks for the reply again. But this is the only version that I have used and it is still not working out for me.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#7 Post by cgrenier »

You can enable the option "mov/mdat Recover mdat atom as a separate file" in FileOpts from PhotoRec 7.1-WIP and try to concat the recovered files as explained in the pdf.

haydomiata

#8 Post by haydomiata »

Im having the same issues, every video is coming with the correct length but just black screen and white noise, has anybody figured it out?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#9 Post by cgrenier »

haydomiata, did you try what I suggest previously:
cgrenier wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 05:53 You can enable the option "mov/mdat Recover mdat atom as a separate file" in FileOpts from PhotoRec 7.1-WIP and try to concat the recovered files as explained in the pdf.