Recovering files from E01 Image

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
liam2018

Recovering files from E01 Image

#1 Post by liam2018 »

Hi,

I'd be grateful for any help or advice -

I have an E01 image created with FTK imager of a small FAT32 USB device. I am trying to work out the command line (scripted run) to use PhotoRec to search for all image files and copy them to a folder outside of the E01.

I am currently using the following .bat file command:

Code: Select all

"C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\E01\photorec\Release\photorec.exe" /debug /log /d "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\E01\Result" /cmd "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\E01\test.E01" search,jpg,enable
However, when I run this, it appears to start, but the only output I get is a folder called 'Result.1' which contains a smaller E01 file, and an XML file called 'report.xml'.

Could anyone please advice me what i'm doing wrong please? Ideally i'm looking for a command to search E01 for any images, and copy to a separate folder without having to specify the partition type inside of the E01 etc.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering files from E01 Image

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The image file is split in several files, you should use

Code: Select all

"C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\E01\photorec\Release\photorec.exe" /debug /log /d "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\E01\Result" /cmd "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\E01\test.E*" search,jpg,enable