Photorec scan stuck

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
javitopia

Photorec scan stuck

#1 Post by javitopia »

Hi, i'm having problems with photorec.

The scans works, and some files are found, however the scann never pases the 30% mark. The program continues running scanning blocks, but after some time, the program goes back to 29%, and this cycle repeats itself over an over. (the block count does de same, arround block number 170<many zeros> it revets to 110)

¿Any ideas? I'm using 7.1-WIP, on a disk with bad sectors and pending sectors, i don't know if this can impact photorec, however the the partition table appears to be ok (the file system however is dead)

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Photorec scan stuck

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The number of files recovered should increase before PhotoRec jumps back, so PhotoRec shouldn't be really stuck.
If there are bad sectors, it can be very time consuming, so it may be best to clone the disk before using PhotoRec. You can use ddrescue as described in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf

javitopia

#3 Post by javitopia »

It's true!

I didn't notice the recovered file number slowly increasing, so at first glance i've assumed it was stuck (since it was more than a day in that state).

I'll give the ddrescue method a shot, thanks!

Ashton12321

#4 Post by Ashton12321 »

I have a similar problem but had accidentally formatted my 1tb drive and am using Photorec to recover and have recovered about 200gb of data.

BUt the scanning is stuck in a range of sector and not increasing, where in this loop no files have been found and only one directory was previously created with 2 files and no change has occurred since 5hours ago.

I have tried restarting terminal and resume scanning and it still gets stuck at same sectors... help??

cgrenier
Site Admin

#5 Post by cgrenier »

Ashton12321, are you using latest 7.1-WIP ?

Ashton12321

#6 Post by Ashton12321 »

I'm on ubuntu, so i downloaded the software from the terminal with "sudo apt-get install testdisk" and from there, used photorec

Tara

#7 Post by Tara »

cgrenier wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 15:25 The number of files recovered should increase before PhotoRec jumps back, so PhotoRec shouldn't be really stuck.
If there are bad sectors, it can be very time consuming, so it may be best to clone the disk before using PhotoRec. You can use ddrescue as described in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Are you saying we won't get stuck in these loops if clone the disk and scan that clone instead?

I thought it is normal for PhotoRec to check the previous sectors again whenever it finds a new file.