Destionation of PhotoRec: external USB drive

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bragghy

Destionation of PhotoRec: external USB drive

#1 Post by bragghy »

I am using an old PC and I managed to boot from a CD with a live version of SystemRescueCD 5.2.2. Opening up the terminal it appears I am logged in as root. When I type to start PhotoRec (because I need to recover some photos from one of the internal drives) and go through the process at a certain point it will ask me for a destination in wich the files will be going. The destination I want is my external USB drive (dev/sdc3), but I don't know how to find it in the PhotoRec menu. The menu just shows me the /root directory.

I am not very good with the Linux terminal since I have never used it (I am in fact a noob), so could you provide me with a step-by-step guide? Thank you very much for your time :D

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Destionation of PhotoRec: external USB drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Extract from the documentation:
File system from external disk may be available in a /media, /mnt or /run/media sub-directory. Mount your destination drive if necessary.
Once it's done, using the arrow keys under PhotoRec, navigate to the destination.