feature: recover a few file types and prevent large/bad recovered files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
kebera

feature: recover a few file types and prevent large/bad recovered files

#1 Post by kebera »

Hello, i wonder if there is a set of options that will allow recovery of only a few file types e.g. jpg but also prevent recovery of very large false jpg due to not having all the other file types enabled. All the other file types should be used for *recognition* that the end of a desired file was reached but should not be recovered.
Thus there would be two sets of checkboxes: desired file types , recognized file types. Default would be to recognize all and desire none. So the user would have to select one or more types to recover.
I am asking this because when requesting recovery work, usually the client really only wants to look through a few dozen files of the type that is critical to their need, such as pictures. And as a recovery service provider, i dont want to have to store a ton of files the user doesnt need and then delete them afterwards. It would also speed up the process and allow for smaller recovery storage media.
Is such a feature request reasonable or possible?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: feature: recover a few file types and prevent large/bad recovered files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Don't forget that you can try undelete feature from testdisk.
When using PhotoRec, you can disable txt and tx? file families but avoid to disable other file types even if you will have to delete the unneeded recovered files.