why "dont have permissions" to open files?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
notevelseeker

why "dont have permissions" to open files?

#1 Post by notevelseeker »

As I am going through the recovered files suddenly I run into permissions problems.

"The document “f146704448.plist” could not be opened. You don’t have permission."
"To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info."

Changing permissions doesn't seem to change anything, but restarting the computer sometimes does. why? avoidable? better work arounds?

These are all plist files (looking for my Notational Velocity database which is a bplist) on a mac I did a clean OS 10.9 install on (SDHD).
I have been stopping and starting the PhotoRec recovery scan as my external bootable drive only has about 30Gb free also OSX10.9. Thank you for the "Continue last scan" option!!!.

insight or tips appreciated.

~nicholas

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: why "dont have permissions" to open files?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Modify the file ownership (cf pdf). By default, the files are owned by root, instead of the user account you are using.

notevelseeker

Re: why "dont have permissions" to open files?

#3 Post by notevelseeker »

Thank you CGRenier, I havnt run into the problem again since asking =)

However, I have been through 14000 files or so now... Starting to wonder if there is a better way.
How long does TestDisk take? would it be able to recover my former machine from "under" the fresh OS 10.9 I just installed over it? then I would be able to go through file structure to the missing file correct?

~nicholas